Sunday, June 19, 2016

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell

Hey all! 
I just finished reading Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell! This is my first book by her, and it was so, so sweet! 


Goodreads Blurb
"Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.

Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible ...




This book was so sweet, adorable... and relatable! It’s about Cath in her first year of university. Cath is a seriously dedicated fangirl. In her world, Simon Snow is one of the most popular characters ever (Basically our Harry Potter), and everyone knows at least something about Simon Snow. Cath, under the alias of Magicath, writes the world’s most popular Simon Snow fanfiction, called Carry On, Simon. She is very introverted, keeps to herself most of the time, and can be quite hesitant about things like going out to parties, or the idea that someone more extroverted could be interested in her. She does have a certain temper that stands out when something goes wrong, though. Her mom disappeared when she was 8, her dad has slight mental problems, and she stopped talking to her twin sister, Wren. 

Levi is one of those guys who just hands out smiles, can talk to anyone, goes to parties, and is a general extrovert - practically Cath’s opposite. He can’t read (I’m guessing he’s dyslexic) and has a heart the size of a mountain. 

Wren is also quite different from Cath - she loves partying and going out, but is still quite a fangirl in all respects. 

This is such a great contemporary! It includes so many little things that are tied nicely in the end, re-occuring ideas, and fun little happenings that anyone could relate to. It was light and happy (most of the time), and was the perfect book to get me out of my post-ACOMAF reading slump. Many parts in this hits right in the feels, but something good usually comes from these parts. 

This book was written with a beautiful rhythm, making it easy to pick up the book for several hours in a row and keep turning pages over and over again. (I basically read the whole thing in two days. Yep.) The characters are relatable in such a way that I was actually able to point to each of them individually and link them to someone I know personally. 

It was filled with such adorable moments I wished they were real! I loved it when Cath had her emergency dance party and Levi walked in all confused, but joined in anyway. I liked it when he was panicking for his YA-lit exam (that sounds like such a cool class! o.o) and she read the whole book to him. I liked it when Cath and her roommate, Reagan, started getting along. Just the way Rainbow writes happy/cute scenes is so nice! 

Throught the book we get snippets of Cath’s fanfiction, Carry On Simon, that usually link in with what is happening in the book (although subtly). Those were not my favorite parts to read, because of cliffhangers. Oh well, guess that just means I’ll have to read Carry On now! 

I’m giving this a nice 4/5 feathers! 

Have you read Fangirl? What did you think about it? Let me know! 


2 comments:

  1. I've seen this book practically everywhere! It's such a neat topic, having the main character be a fangirl. After all, as fangirls ourselves, who better to relate to? It's so neat how the author came out with the very book Cath is obsessed with, so that we can read for ourselves what the hype is about for Cath!
    Great review as always! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ERIKA YOU SHOULD READ IT! *sends you virtual copy*. I felt like I could relate to Cath so much!

      Thanks! :D

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!