Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Graceling Read-Along! - Grace List

Hey all! 
Welcome to a new part of our read along! 


We decided that it could be beneficial to have a ‘Grace List’, or a list of all of the graces encountered in Graceling! Maybe this’ll help you decide on weather to read it or not! :) 

Main Graces
Survival: Katsa’s Grace, though initially was first thought to be a killing Grace, is a Grace that allows her to survive even in the most dire circumstances. She always knows which way is north, can start a fire out of practically nothing, force herself to sleep, never gets sick, and has exceptional stamina and fighting skills. Her Grace allows her to combat anything that may cause her harm, physically or environmentally. She discovered this Grace after comparing herself to others.

“If you learned that my Grace wasnt’ Killing,’ she said ‘but survival…’ He raised his eyebrows. ‘Would it surprise you?”

Senser: Po’s Grace lets him sense what others are thinking in relation to himself. As a result, he can also “see” his surroundings by feeling them. His ability to read what others feel or think of him allows him to always be one step ahead, and thus is able to predict their moves or actions in battle, giving him his false Grace of combat. Later in the book, his Grace grows to such an extent that he can accurately sense everything around him without having to open his eyes at all.

“It’s easy, Katsa. It’s as if when I open myself up to every perception, thimgs create their own focus. I mean, think of us now, standing here. There’s a bird in the tree behind me, do you see it?”

Siren voice: Leck’s Grace allows him make people believe or do anything he says just by hearing his words. His power extends so that even if you overhear someone else repeating his words, you can fall back under his control.

“He has a Grace’ she said ‘My mother told me so. She told me he can manipulate people’s minds with his words, so that they believe whatever he says. Even if they hear it from someone else’s mouth; even if it’s a rumor he started that’s spread far beyond him. His power weakens as it spreads, but it does not disappear…”

Army/Guard Graces:
Sword fighting
Archery
Close combat fighting
Speed
Strength

Court Graces:
Chef
Horse handler
Juggler
Numbers (mathematics)
Prediction (for next year’s harvest)
Mood determination

Miscellaneous Graces
Seer
Swimming
Holding one’s breath
Climbing trees
Talking backwards

Our Graces
Thievery
Moving unseen/unheard

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I probably should have put in quotes for mine too! I've always wondered, would it be possible to have a combination of Graces? Say I could swim really well, and also talk backwards. Would you call them two separate Graces, or one? If one, what would you even call it? (this is just me being curious, I'm pretty sure this would never happen haha)

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!