Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chobsky - SPOILERS!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chobsky 

Hey all! 
I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chobsky. I’m not going to hide spoilers this time. 


(Backcover Blurb)
Charlie’s not the biggest geek in high school, but he’s by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent, yet socially awkward, Charlie is a wallflower, standing on the threshold of his life whists watching everyone else live theirs. As Charlie tries to navigate his way through uncharted territory - the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends - he realizes that he can’t stay on the sidelines forever. There comes a time when you have to see what life looks like from the dance floor.” 






I was really really really hoping to like this. I really was. 
But honestly, I didn’t :( 
And I really hate not liking books and writing more negative reviews ;-;

Okay so TPOBAW was from Charlie’s point of view - a 15-year-old teenager who is writing letters to you, as a ‘friend’. Through these letters, he basically gives you an overview of his freshmen year, telling you about his experiences. 

I felt like the letters were written like a 10-year-old, by a 15-year-old, about college problems. (Well, the events like this only ever happened with the really popular kids at school. I was sorta a wallflower in high school, kinda, and the last thing I wanted to do was get involved with the populars.) He really was like a kid, constantly asking ‘why’ and doing things without an obvious purpose. 

And he cries. A lot. For everything. 

So basically the book starts off with him saying that his best friend killed himself, and he has to go to a psychiatrists. Then, the whole book feels like he’s just existing through everyday life in a state of shock. 

What bothered me is his... un-reactiveness. I mean I know he’s having a hard time, and that his friends are all 18 who kind of drag him into a world of partying and smoking... but he just mentions thing almost... blandly. One part that really stuck out to me was when he just almost casually mentions that he witnessed a girl... being forced to do stuff that she obviously didn’t want to do. I dunno, that really bothered me. He didn’t feel like an introverted shy wallflower, in my opinion. And even when he learns how to ‘see life from the dance floor’, it doesn’t seem like he’s doing any better. 

I feel like this book had too many serious topics crammed within the 200 pages. Seriously, the only thing missing was someone having HIV/AIDS or cancer, and that would have been everything. Abuse, alcohol, drugs, suicide, depression... you name it, and it was probably there. And none of these topics were more than mentioned. Just... no. 

Of course this book was unique and unpredictable in many ways. I liked the characters that had many dimensions to them, like Sam and Patrick. I think that they really ‘saved’ the book for me. But I was really surprised when Sam left for college, and Charlie basically ended up so unresponsive and depressed that he ends up at the hospital for two weeks. It’s like he doesn’t have a backbone, and that Sam was what was holding him up after his friend died. But we know that that’s not the case, because he has other friends as well, and he was okay before he met her. 

I don’t know, I feel like this book didn’t click with me for some reason. I understand the intent of having a somewhat depressed wallflower’s point of view,  but I personally would have enjoyed the story if it was just in regular prose, and in the 3rd person. I do understand why may people enjoyed this book so much! I just couldn’t ‘bond’ to it like many people could. Sure, some parts were adorable and moving, but I just felt like the book as a whole was a bit removed from everything. I guess that that is what was intended, as wallflowers are typically ‘removed’ from society. 

I’m sadly giving this just 2 feathers. 



Did you read the perks of being a wallflower? What did you think? Let me know! :D

(also yes, I realize this review isn’t great, I’m sorry!) 

6 comments:

  1. Phew, I wasn't the only one who didn't enjoy this book! After it was turned into a movie, all I kept hearing was how great of a book it was...
    I completely agree with you analysis of Charlie! I didn't find him a very strong character, and I suppose it's "supposed" to be realistic as a wallflower, but still. It's not real empowering people to get up and be active and take control of their life. I would have liked it better if Charlie had a more positive reaction to things, rather than slowly succumbing to things like depression...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn’t either! I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I might watch the movie, though. I don’t know yet.
      I think that ‘yeah, but still’ is a good way to summarize the book, actually. It just felt like something was off.
      Yes! He cried too much, I really wish he could have smiled from time to time. That one chapter where he felt good after Sam kissed him almost seemed fake, you know?

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't like this book! I was actually quite a fan, but I can definitely see where you have a point. I suppose it doesn't send the best messages, and it can bum you out with all of Charlie's depressing thoughts. I guess I mostly enjoyed the realistic aspect of it. Either way, awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ^-^
      Yeah and I really wanted to like it. I kept telling myself it would get better and completely blow my mind, and then, for me at least, it fell flat.
      I think the ‘bum you out’ part is very true, actually. That’s pretty much what happened. It was realistic, but it still felt too... I don’t know, emotionless? I’m glad you liked it though! :D

      Delete
  3. I've never read this book, but I've heard loads of great things about it - glad your review was actually kinda a negative one - it's always great to get more than one perspective, and to understand why someone might not like a book! Thanks for the nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!