Thursday, November 5, 2015

Angelfall, by Susan Ee

Angelfall, by Susan Ee

Hey all! 
I just finished Angelfall, by Susan Ee! 

Goodreads Blurb


"It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.


This was a rollercoaster that only went up, my friends! (Heheh see what I did there?)  
This book really surprised me! I was not expecting it to be this dark, buy I really enjoyed it! 
And that ending crushed me into pieces. Like what was that?!

So Angelfall is intense and kinda crazy. The characters are awesome and realistic, the plot is so great, and it just leaves you needing to know what happens next! 

As I said, I loved the characters (I seem to be talking about book characters a lot... but they usually make up the biggest part of the book, ya know?) Penryn is an AWESOME protagonist! She learned all kinds of martial arts, which she uses to defend herself against all kinds of enemies. She is strong in her morales and does what she believes in. She is so incredibly determined to find and save her sister, that she would team up with an apocalypse angel to find her! (The pair that I really ship btw, more than in some books c: ) She does talk a lot, but her comments are either very relevant, or are very good comebacks. 

Raffe, aka Archangel Raphael (That may or may not be a spoiler, I’m not super sure actually o_o) is so cool! Sure, he might be one of the main apocalypse-bringers, but once he realizes he’s fallen, and that the only way to get his wings back is to help Penryn, he actually softens up quite a bit, and become really sweet, but still super cool and kick-butt. Like he knows when to do what. When to defend, when to act, when to comfort, when to be honest, when to fight... everything. I’m looking for a tiny bit more development from his part, though! 

The side characters are also great! My favorite being DeeDum! They’re like the little happy sneaky thieves you need in books! On top of that, there’s Penryn’s disabled little sister, her schizophrenic mother, and lots of hunter-like people. 

The plot is (mostly) fast paced, especially at the end of the book! Like I said, that ending was so absolutely incredible and scary! Such an explosion, I can’t WAIT to get the next book! Somehow... sometime... 
It was so creative! The whole story with the angels was fantastic, the author managed to create an amazing world around them! 

It was so cool, you would never really think about an angel apocalypse. Deamon? Sure. Angels? Not so much. That was SO COOL to read about! Such an awesome idea! 

Oh, and something I sorta enjoyed was the mention of Nephilim! I only ever heard of them through The Mortal Instruments, and this series makes them take a much... darker turn. *shivers* 

That’s it for this book! Sorry I have quite a bit of work to do, so I have to cut it a bit sort! :) Just know that I really enjoyed the book! I would have enjoyed a tiny bit more character development for a tiny handful of characters, and want to know a bit more about the angel’s world, and what a world with angels actually is like. World building will probably continue in the next books, though. 

I’m giving it a 4/5 feathers! Very close to 5, though! 



Have you read Angelfall? What did you think about it? Let me know! :) 

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I originally was hesitant on reading it, because I thought it was another predictable dystopian, but it was far from it. It was so chilling! Believe me, it gets better (and a whole lot creepier) in the next book :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, but it took me a little while to actually pick it up :’) And yeah, I’m a bit tired of the dystopian trope as well, but this was just so good! I’ll have to find the next book somehow!

      Delete
  2. I thought this was a great book, a nice twist on dystopia and angels. I haven't continued the series (though I should). I hope to see more of the characters! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It was so original! I’m thinking about continuing it, you should too if you get the chance to! :)

      Delete
  3. I have heard SO much about this book! Most of it is great, too! I've had it on my TBR like forever.... Now that I've read your terrific review, I think I just might put it at the very top of my list! I LOVE to read books with awesome characters, and these sure sound like they are!

    Thanks for the lovely review! Thanks as well for dropping by and commenting on my WOW post!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also heard a lot about it, and I’m glad I picked it up! I’m glad that you enjoyed my review! :)
      Looking forward to seeing your review!!

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!